TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - smoking at idle
People Seeking Info

Subject smoking at idle

Posted by rightzedfred on February 12, 2018 at 5:05 PM
  This message has been viewed 334 times.

Message Bought another '90 TT a few months ago - owner stated that one of the turbos was going out. With this in mind I towed it home, as the previous owner didn't advise driving. After driving to BMV to get plates, I realized it wasn't smoking to the point where it was embarrassing, so I continued to drive it for the remainder of the summer and fall seasons.
Fast forward to today, I have begun taking it apart to replace turbos. Before going this route, I did a compression test and got great numbers - better than expected. However, as it sits now, I have not found any oil in any intake hoses, and also the downpipes appear to be dry.
My question is this : If it is in fact a turbo seal, should there be any residue or oil in the downpipe? Or should there be some oil present in the turbo? I did notice that the valve cover gaskets seem to be leaking, as well as some oil lines to the turbo - but I wouldn't think any of that would result in smoke coming from the exhaust. FWIW I never checked the PCVs.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.