TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Help Identifying Engine Noise w/YouTube vid
People Seeking Info

Subject Help Identifying Engine Noise w/YouTube vid

Posted by zquikone on October 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM
  This message has been viewed 267 times.

Message Started the car for the first time after a TT swap and it is making some grinding/rumbling noises and you can feel some vibration when touching the driver side timing cover or intake valve cover that coincides with the noise. I was able to have this engine started on a front clip prior to buying it 6 years ago and did not hear anything like this.

A link to a YouTube vid below. You may need headphones to hear it and try to listen past the loud lifter tick to catch the rumbling. It is louder in person but I couldn't get the sound picked up through the mic well after several tries.
Youtube Video

Some additional details:

• Oil pressure is ok according to the stock gauge

• Noise and vibration felt through timing covers goes away for minutes at a time and comes back

• New oil pump, pick up and gasket

• Small dent was pounded out on oil pan then test fitted to check if anything was touching the pick up prior to install

Does anyone have any leads on this sound? Been searching the forums and looking for any suggestions before I take off the oil pan to make sure the pickup tube and gasket is sealing right or removing the timing covers to see whats going on behind them. Appreciate any info to help tackle this. Thanks!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.