TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Well it's definitely RPM related. It does concern me that
People Seeking Info

Subject Well it's definitely RPM related. It does concern me that

Posted by jzack on September 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM
  This message has been viewed 483 times.

In Reply To Engine whine posted by infoschumi on September 17, 2017 at 04:35 AM

Message when the timing belt was installed the belt tensioner wasn't set to the right 4mm gap spacing. That's actually pretty important. Here's what I would do:

Get an auto stethoscope or just a short length of garden hose and rule out the whine isn't from the AC compressor, alternator or power steering pump. Garden hose makes it easier to localize engine bay sounds - just be careful since the engine will be running. FYI - I've duct taped the garden hose end to a 3/8 long wood dowl. Makes moving the hose end around a lot easier and safer than sticking your hand next to moving parts.

Pull off the driver side t-belt cover and inspect the belt for wear or fraying. Some folks install the crank t-belt large guide washer backwards and it can cause t-belt edge wear from rubbing. It can cause a whinny sound too.

Other than a vacuum leak (idle issue) if the t-belt tensioner wasn't set right its possible the timing belt jumped a tooth and messed up the timing setting. If that's the case you'll need to pull everything apart and reset the tensioner gap along with re-doing the belt install to get the timing between the crank and cam gears reset.

PS - only tool needed to set the tensioner gap is a 4mm Allen wrench. Easy to get at any car parts store.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.