TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Not having found anything wrong in the refrigeration
People Seeking Info

Subject Not having found anything wrong in the refrigeration

Posted by JMartz on August 21, 2017 at 6:56 AM
  This message has been viewed 375 times.

In Reply To Depends on the outside temp, but yeah more or less (n/m) posted by Aaronw on August 20, 2017 at 11:31 PM

Message cycle, I must conclude the problem of insufficient cooling due to rapid clutch cycling (in part) has to be occurring in the air handling system. Open exp valve, occluded evap due to 25 years of filterless operation, a malfunctioning air blending door motor, a bad evap temp sensor (TCA), and/or water valve control failure or maybe even a bad a/c computer issuing erroneous commands*.

* This last one is far fetched though!

The a/c relay, electromagnetic clutch, hi-lo switch on the receiver/dryer, ambient temp sensor and coolant and detonation sensor have all been tested and verified functioning as designed. Rapid clutch cycling is not due to a weak magnet, since the tuning off of the compressor is being done by the relay. The computer is turning it off and on. Why is the question. Refrigerant level is correct. System was evacuated and refilled. Hi-Lo and amb temp switches were bypassed to no avail. Clutch cylcing persisted. What is not equivocal; is that clutch cycling is directly correlated to the activation-deactivation of the TCA. Whether it itself is busted (reacting at a warmer temp circa 44 rather than 34) or the exp valve is open causing the TCA to react, remains to be seen.

Since cooling only improved marginally when TCA was bypassed, I have to conclude other malfunctions exist in the air handling system. Flow out of the center panel appears sometimes obstructed and even whifs of warm are are momentarily felt, the disappear. Not giving up on fixing the a/c but it has been a long struggle I have yet to win.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.