TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I have an important tip for you.
People Seeking Info

Subject I have an important tip for you.

Posted by Brad(RI) on August 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM
  This message has been viewed 732 times.

In Reply To Steering rack U Joint replacement tips or writeup anywhere? posted by Poom (Pittsburgh) on August 09, 2017 at 08:51 PM

Message When you put the new u joint on, slide it up high on the steering shaft and put the top cap screw through but not tight. Then slide the lower end onto the steering box and put that bolt through then tighten. If you put the bottom cap screw in first you have the possibility of engaging the the tiny lip of splines on the very end of the steering shaft with the screw, which is not good.. can lead to chewing up those splines and cross threading the upper cap screw. Not that I did that or anything lol. I was able to tap it out and recover, but I decided to buy a new u joint since my plastic indexer and dust cover basically disintegrated at that same time. I bought a new u joint , in part hopeful it would come with the plastic index and the dust cover, it does not.. The new u joint was faaaar tighter than the old one so I am not regretting changing it at all.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.