TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Stalling (idle up?) AND Starting Problem ...
People Seeking Info

Subject Stalling (idle up?) AND Starting Problem ...

Posted by thumper300zx on June 07, 2017 at 3:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 665 times.

Message Yesterday when the car was cold I accelerated and then had to let off the gas, shifted into neutral, and when the RPM's dropped, it dipped below 650 RPM and the car stalled. I've noticed since then the car isn't fast idling when relatively cold. Once the car is warmed up, it's better. Just the day before, no problem. Car idled higher when cold and adjusted when warm and held RPM just fine. If I don't give it a bit of gas now when slowing down, it will die or come close. Just all the sudden. Where should I start looking? In contrast, if anything, I had issues with the idle NOT coming down like it should (staying high). I have thoroughly cleaned the AIV thinger two different times for that issue and it seems to resolve it for a good amount of time. But now it's not idling high. Weird.

#2 Starting -- for years I've had an intermittent issue where I turn the key and the starter doesn't turn. Usually I just have to turn the key back once and the next time it will go. Sometimes, I have to turn the key a few times and finally it will start. BUT USUALLY, I just get in the car and it starts. It just seems to have a 'sweet spot' where I turn and it works.

Coincidentally, just yesterday (to go along with the not idling high enough) -- I had a bit more trouble with the ignition. It took a few tries and it started. But this morning, the car stalled and I had to turn the key probably 20-30 times before it found that sweet spot and started right up. Now, a few hours later -- I went to run an errand and I couldn't get it started. I tried probably 40-50 turns. Nothing. I get some sounds, dash lights dim, etc, when I try to start. But nothing. Would this point at ignition? A relay? Starter (or starter solenoid?)?

VISIT thumper300zx.com for PICS and TECH PAGES

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.