TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Progress Eh?
People Seeking Info

Subject Progress Eh?

Posted by Doug71zt(CAN) on May 17, 2017 at 6:13 PM
  This message has been viewed 438 times.

In Reply To First motor pull .... looking for some advice. posted by Zbullet on May 17, 2017 at 09:20 AM

Message 1. Unbolt the PS pump and leave connected. Pump will be tight on the pivot sleeve after the bolt is removed. Remove all of the pump adjuster before removing pump from the engine.

3. Unbolt the AC compressor and leave the bracket on the engine. Two lower bolts and two upper pivot bolts. Aft upper pivot bolt is a pain, crowsfoot and extension from the front or maybe a shorty 14mm. I use a crowsfoot.

I personally leave the alternator on the engine and unplug the transmission harness from the body harness below the headlight. No issues with clearance on re-install. Easier on the alternator connections and trans harness if you are dealing with it out of the engine compartment, especially if you have the typical crispy harness.

So, to recap - PS pump off the engine, AC compressor off the engine - both still connected to their systems. Alternator and harness stay with the engine.

I personally pull the transmission before the engine, mainly because I'm working on a hoist and have a tall engine crane to support the engine while it is on the hoist.
14mm flex socket and 36" extension are your friends for the upper bolts.

You should be able to get the DS out without lifting the engine, but it is no big deal to lift and go forward a bit to clear it. Maybe even letting down the trans a couple inches will give you enough clearance to get it out.

Good luck.
I pull and re-install the engine by myself typically, maybe with my son's help eyeballing things if he's around.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.