TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - First motor pull .... looking for some advice.
People Seeking Info

Subject First motor pull .... looking for some advice.

Posted by Zbullet on May 17, 2017 at 9:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 570 times.

Message First off the tech write ups are very helpful, though I wish the photos were higher resolution so we could click on them and zoom in.

Anyhow I'm looking for advice/guidance on a few items:

1. Unbolt the power steering from the block and leave the hydraulic lines connected or drain the system and remove the pump entirely?

2. I got the main bolt on the power steering pump through the pulley and also the two or three bolts on the front bracket. I'm obviously missing one or two. The pump is still on there solid.

3. Same question for the AC compressor. Unbolt it and leave it in place when the motor comes out or disconnect the lines and take it out with the motor?

4. Easier to remove the entire bracket holding the AC and idler pulley or disconnect the compressor on its own? Or do both usually get removed prior to lifting the motor?

The alternator wasn't so bad but I'd imagine that getting it rewired and mounted with the new motor in will be a bitch. Can the motor be pulled and reinstalled with all the accessories mounted?

I'm about 6 or 7 hours in on this. So far so good with exception of my Z1 driveshaft. Not sure what's going on but I can't get it out. It won't clear the differential yoke. I'll have to lift the motor/tranny and pull it forward a couple inches. The snout moves about an inch into the tranny tailshaft but not enough to clear on the diff side. When I put it in a few years ago I had no trouble. Twisted splines maybe? Once I have it out I'll compare the snout travel versus my spare transmission.

I accidentally separated the cap trying to pry the CV joint out of the diff receiver. I presume I'll have to clean this up and have the CV repacked once I get the DS out.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.