TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Shock washer rubbing
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Shock washer rubbing

Posted by nissubaru on May 10, 2017 at 1:19 PM
  This message has been viewed 556 times.

In Reply To Shock washer rubbing posted by OldSchoolTT on May 06, 2017 at 06:22 PM

Message If only I saw this post the other day, I just built up my rear struts on Sunday and installed them. I didn't check the top but yours definitely looks strange to me. I'll try to explain how I assembled mine:

For starters, I used Tokico Illumina's so there may be a difference if you went with KYB. From first to last item installed it went, strut, dust boot & bump stop, metal cup (cup part facing downward over the bump stop, like n instead of facing upwards like a u, if that makes sense), then spring followed by the shock absorber collar (rubber ring) slid onto the upper shock mount which has 2 rubber bushings in it. I should have went OEM here as the aftermarket bushings didn't fit so I just put the original back on since they were in decent shape. Here it went, thicker ribbed bushing on the bottom of the shock mount, followed by the top donut looking bushing on top of the shock mount. Pic here:

The strut cylinder feeds through all of these things, then comes the metal washer cup thing that you're struggling with right now. From memory I want to say I installed mine flipped over again so the cup part is down like an "n" instead of pointing up like a "u", which is the way you have it now. This metal washer cup sits on top of the very last bushing, then you put the nut on and tighten it all down.

If you want I can have my dad take a pic of the top of the rear shocks just for comparison. I haven't yet put the car on the ground so there's a possibility I screwed up lol but I doubt it, I broke down each strut one by one and lined the parts up in the order they were taken off. Then reassembled in the reverse order.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.