TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Stupidity + Luck = Trip to ER
People Seeking Info

Subject Stupidity + Luck = Trip to ER

Posted by MidnightZ on March 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM
  This message has been viewed 659 times.

Message Hi guys,

Bolted up TT auto tranny this weekend and I just wanted to share my experience and reiterate that the weight of the transmissions required a vigilant eye at all times. I bought a transmission jack but the ratchet was too large to release in the tunnel.

So the first time I tried to install the tranny, I took the strap off. The jack didn’t move with the tranny and as I was shifting it tried to line up, the tranny rolled off the jack. Luckily it crushed just one of my fingers. It could have been much worse.

My poor finger.

Removing automatic pilot bushing. I used a loaner from the local auto store and didn’t have any trouble.

To keep the tranny secured at all times and still able to remove the strap after raised up in the tunnel, I replaced one of the bolts with a tooling pin. After the tranny was bolted to the engine, I pulled the pin to release the strap.

To get enough space under the car, I built wood cribbing blocks.

Without the hood and EGR valve, I was able to reach the top three bolts from above.

Six months and one finer later.

Next step, reach into my long term memory and re-connect all the loose hoses/plugs...

BTW, here is my previous progress

Paul's 1990 Midnight Blue 2+2

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.