TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Follow-up on installing Whiteline subframe bushings
People Seeking Info

Subject Follow-up on installing Whiteline subframe bushings

Posted by Haasz32 on March 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 725 times.

Message I posted about having problems installing the subframe bushings from Whiteline. I got the old style that ZSpeed carries W92446 because the W92447 (the ones Whiteline now says fits the z32) actually fit worse. The W92446 are too short, and I have read the front bushings will require about a 10mm spacer on the bottom of the bushing. Whiteline tried to fix this with the W92447 bushings but they added the 10mm to the top of the bushing (wrong side) and that would make the car actually sit 10mm higher than it should.

Anyway, my problem was not with the height of the bushing, it was with the width. I removed all the sleeves from the subframe. Once the rubber bushing and the center metal sleeve comes out, there are 3 more levels of outer sleeves to remove. There are short sleeves (one at top and one at bottom) that need to come out. Then there are 2 more full length sleeves outside of those.

Originally, I was using a large vice to press the bushings into the subframe and it seemed to be going fairly well until I got to within about a half inch from bottoming out. That's where significantly more torque was needed and I was bending my vice handle.

I asked around on here and a couple of the members who have installed them before. The only solution I was given was to take it to a shop to have them press them in or buy a 20 ton hydraulic press to do it myself. I don't really have the garage space for a free-standing press. Plus, getting the subframe into position to use a press like that would have been a challenge for me since I wanted to keep everything else attached (diff, axles, knuckle, etc). And I don't know how you would press in the rear lower shock mount bushings in the knuckle without completely disassembling it (which i did last year to install ES bushings everywhere, but I wanted to try the Whitelines in that position, and not have to disassemble it again).

I did some searching and found that there are pull press sleeve kits out there that can press bushings in/out. I have used the long bolt and washer/nut combo before to press in ES bushings, but that wasn't going to work with the Whitelines, since they have outer sleeves and can't be squeezed in with a regular bolt. I actually tried that and snapped a pretty hefty bolt.

I ordered this kit https://www.vidaxl.com/e/8718475844259/professional-pull-press-sleeve-kit-27pc?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnsPGBRDo4c6RqK-Oqu8BEiQAwNviCdKiUd7OKfBIhXWK0-NI0Fp18p2Tx1ejdvrBjSZOq24aArq78P8HAQ

The largest threaded shaft (bolt) is huge. The whole kit is way bigger than it appears in the pic on the website. It has very low pitch to allow a large amount of torque to be applied without stripping threads. The nut/washer combo has built in ball bearings which apply even pressure around the washer as you're cranking away. The kit has tons of different sized metal sleeves to match up to the inner/outer diameters of whatever you're working on. I was really impressed with it, especially since it's the cheapest of such kits (by far) on the market (no namer at that). It worked incredibly well. It pressed in all 4 of my subframe bushings and the rear lower shock mount bushings with no problem.

It's cheaper than a hydraulic press, stores easily, and can allow access in relatively tight spots and without having to disassemble the things you're working on. I love it, and I had to share this.

I also wanted to share that I have installed Whiteline bushings in the following locations and they do actually fit (some people on here are claiming that Whiteline bushings don't fit in general). Front and rear diff bushings, subframe bushings, and rear lower shock mount bushings. I'm sure there are some bushes that don't fit that Whiteline makes, but the ones I just listed do actually fit.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.