TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I finally heard the rattle
People Seeking Info

Subject I finally heard the rattle

Posted by OverZealous (CT) on March 06, 2017 at 7:11 PM
  This message has been viewed 261 times.

In Reply To No the "rattle" like sound. I think it's the intake cam gear posted by Stanky on March 05, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Message It's not easy to recognize off the video but I think I know what you're talking about. If it is the VTC then double-check the oil level and pressure. Flicking the throttle will affect the sound if the rest of the systems works properly.

Also, if it's the VTC the only real way to recognize that's really the problem is sadly by replacing with a known good one. What's actually happening inside the VTC that causes the VTC rattle (still not convinced that's what you have) is a rather complicated resonance problem. Here's a video of my instrumented VTC which shows the impact on oil pressure. Mine is exactly what a VTC rattle is supposed to sound like and going with BDE fixed it 100%.

I second the stethoscope recommendation though honestly I've had just as much success with a simple piece of hose stuck in my ear.

I am convinced you still have lifter tick with the new lifters. I don't believe it's an exhaust leak. IMHO the lifter tick problem is very tough to truly fix. I put a ton of effort into rebuilding mine based on Ash's write-up. When I put mine back together everything was clean but the lifter tick came back again.

OverZealous (CT)

My General posts (click)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.