TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Spun rod bearing.
People Seeking Info

Subject Spun rod bearing.

Posted by nick.c on February 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM
  This message has been viewed 311 times.

Message If you dont want to read: I spun a bearing. Want to replace the one rod that is bad. Not all of them. I know the crank is probably shot. can I replace one rod? If so do I just grab another similar numbered piston from a spare motor? Check all bearing tolerances and rings etc?

Story:

Ok so I spun a rod bearing because I lost oil pressure (low oil, my fault)

I am just getting the motor broken down and I have not looked yet. I am planning on doing a full flush of oil cooler and lines. I am going to do a new oil pump and I was going to see how bad that rod / Crank looks.

The car is a fun car but I do not have all the supporting mods to do Turbos/full build etc. Im kind of happy with the stockish/bolt on kind of car I have and I was looking to get it back running.

I know that probably the crank / rod will be shot. I probably wont do over sized bearings and ill probably just get another stock crank. The rod that obviously spun is going to be distorted and out of whack. Do I get the same numbered rod used from another motor? Does the rod have to be the same numbered? I have other rods(not a complete set), can I use Rod #1 from that set in #5 of my block?

I tried searching and I was not locating the information I needed. I see all the bearing grades tutorials but nothing on if you can replace one of the 6 rods.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.