TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Steering wheel off center above 40mph.
People Seeking Info

Subject Steering wheel off center above 40mph.

Posted by orion on February 25, 2017 at 2:52 PM
  This message has been viewed 227 times.

Message Hello,
I’m looking for help with a steering issue. The last time I drove my Z, at around 40mph, the steering wheel turned to the left about 10 - 15 degrees. This happened while driving and became the center position for the wheel, until after I slowed below 40mph. The car drove normally except for the steering wheel being off center.

Prior to the drive I jacked up the front to WD-40 and grease some squeaking parts, end links, and bushings on the front sway bar.

Before jacking up the car I had to crank the wheels to the right, while the car was off, in order to get the floor jack under. I believe the floor jack was on the center brace. I did notice a bit of thick grease stuck to the bottom of the engine cover, looked like it had been there for a while or I had seen it before. The last time I drove the car was about 3 weeks’ prior w/no noticeable issues.

Any suggestions on what would cause this behavior? I have not looked under the car yet, too lazy to jack it up and thinking about taking it to a shop this time. I don’t see any leaks under the car and PS fluid level is ok.
Thanks,
John

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.