TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Not-so-Newb Here, Second Z32 New Problem Dreaded Hesitation
People Seeking Info

Subject Not-so-Newb Here, Second Z32 New Problem Dreaded Hesitation

Posted by ezhilerated on February 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM
  This message has been viewed 252 times.

Message Hello everyone! I was a member a long, long time ago for my personal Z32 TT and couldn't find my username anywhere, emails have changed and it's been about 17/18 years I believe since I last had a Z and was on here. Great to be back! I remember this site was awesome back in the day and it looks like you all are still going strong!

I sold my beloved 92 TT with JWT ECU, boost jets, JWT Pop Charger, Stillen exhaust and lots of mods back in 2000 and always wanted to get another. Life happened and now I have a 16 year old who loves retro "classic" cars, lol.

So we sought out a nice low mileage 1992, two owner excellent condition NA 5speed with leather and suede, t-tops with new tires, good clutch, fantastic body with no paint and never any mods. We got a great deal on it, knowing it had a few minor issues, seats cracked, window trim flaking and minor stuff like shifter bushings and this strange hesitation between 2500-3500 rpms.

So, I went to this site and searched and found this amazing list of 3,000 things it could be and started here. [ http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FAQpages/hesitate2.html ]

I could do a lot of things myself but we have three other cars and three other kids to deal with, so I sent the Z off to my beloved independent japanese auto shop here in Dallas who the owner actually helped rebuild a whole warehouse of these engines back in the day for Courtesy Nissan who had a flood or something that damaged the engines.

So, I figure the Z will get sorted out, after I did the OEM air filters, NGK Plugs and cleaned any corrosiveness off all connectors, as well as ran premium gas with Lucas injector cleaner, still getting the hesitation between 2500-3500. Doesn't do it when cold at first, but as soon as it warms up, you have to give it a lot of gas to get out of first, and every gear it stumbles/hesitates.

My experts at the shop have gone through all the diagnostics, came up with code 55, so they started going through the list.

O2 sensors-new, tried another set, aftermarket no change
MAF sensor cleaned, nothing obstructing works fine
Idle is correct and smooth resting and at start up 800
Timing is correct
CAS/CAM connector cleaned-no corrosion.
Injectors tested no issues
TPS checked, adjusted slightly and works fine
Coolant temp sensor checked no corrosion
No vacuum leaks
Fuel pressure is good, new fuel pump and filter both OEM
Coolant is fresh and good level
New OEM belts, hoses
Checked coils and they are good
Did electrical load and voltmeter on about every sensor and connector
Battery and charging system is good
Knock sensor was moved but connected/bolted and grounded back properly from previous owner.

I spoke to both technician and owner of the shop with 30 years of Nissan/Toyota/Mazda experience and they are both stumped. They remember having these issues on Z's but one of the things they have already done fixed it and they ran out of "new material" to replace and/or repair on mine except for the three items they told me to get (below).

I am asking that they re-check fuel pressure, re-check timing and vacuum leaks as well injectors.

They asked me to get a new or a nicely used OEM MAF, CAS and TPS as well as coolant temp sensor to try switching out.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Would the non-oem O2 Sensors have anything to do with this? Air filters are OEM as well. Will check gas cap and run the entire tank of premium with Lucas through.

How about unplugging battery to reset ECU?

Haven't got into the timing belt yet, it was replaced at 60k by previous owner.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! Great to be back!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.