TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - How to install an EP racing pan
People Seeking Info

Subject How to install an EP racing pan

Posted by Dane (Houston) on April 21, 2016 at 11:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 921 times.

Message Things to know that could save your investment and headaches.

I have install the EP pan on ALL 3 of my personal cars and many customer builds now. Why because I don't want my customer pumping oil up to the top end on long rpm runs wrapping it up on highway pulls and spinning bearings. That along with all the other advertised benefits by EP

1. Set the pan on the block upside down, then modify all the bolt holes to match up with the block.

2. Flatten out the oil pick up tube flange In all cases it was warped from welding during manufacturing. belt sand it flat to that the gasket will actually seal to the oil pump. Use the oem metal gasket, you cant use the oem o ring variant.

3 Don't seal the pan on yet. Turn the crankshaft, the rear crank counterweight will strike in inside of the rear pan flange corners. Grind this away for clearance. This has been needed to be address on ALL the EP pans I have installed

Flush out thoroughly your grinding and shavings after making these modifications, gasoline works well at flushing and cleaning. Apply your liquid gasket and front and rear pan seals to the block upside down apposed to the pan its self. Applying the liquid gasket on the bottom of the engine block is a lot easier than applying it to the pan flange and smudging up your bead on the way down. SO gasket on the block... I apply liquid gasket to both sides of the front and rear rubber pan seals.

4. You can use a NA oil tree or a TT oil tree if you chop off the oil cooler pressure flow valve. After your chop this section off of the TT filter tree you can thread and tap it for the oem oil pressure sender or an aftermarket sender. (of your block was NA make sure you have plugs in in the block were the filter bypass valves used to be. I delete all filter bypass valves and try to use the NA tree unless it is just impossible with a certain turbo setup)

5. Stack your oil cooler or oil thermostat plate on the oil tree, then a 90 degree filter adapter. You can use oem filter or a big ford 351 filter, the ford 351 filters seam to seal better on the 90 degree adapter. Motorcraft and Royal Purple are the filters use. Picture below.

6 Block off the oem style oil return port as a cooler sandwich or thermostat converts the system to full low and the port is no longer used.

7 If you have an automatic.... install your SZ/reactor billet flexplate, set the converter bolts in the flex plate, rotate the crankshaft. if the converter bolts hit than take measures to make the pan conform to this (i beat my 700 dollar pan with a sledge hammer) I have had to do this mod on 1 of 2 AT cars using a billet flex plate with this ep pan. I don't know if this is an issue with the early ep pans or manufacturing variations

i modified my track car with extra oil return hoses on the tapped into the back of each head

the larger filter over twice the size of stock, this can even be adapted for those without a ep pan the filter part number is 30-8A !!

the price of your oil change will double!

i sell my oil cooler kit here if interested.... https://www.facebook.com/houston.zauto/ or email houstonzauto@gmail.com

vote to FAQ?

class="spotlight" alt="" aria-describedby="fbPhotosSnowliftCaption" aria-
busy="false" src="https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-
xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11836802_670022836467989_8933667023759992197_n.jpg?
oh=3da28796172774909bfb05b01d1bf54c&oe=5677FBD1"
style="width: 640px; height: 194px;">

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.