TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: The intake gaskets do require a small amount of RTV, where
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: The intake gaskets do require a small amount of RTV, where

Posted by KeepinitClassy on April 14, 2016 at 4:47 AM
  This message has been viewed 292 times.

In Reply To The intake gaskets do require a small amount of RTV, where posted by jzack on April 13, 2016 at 09:42 AM

Message Well I certainly missed the part on the RTV being used on the intake VC's. The RTV used was the stuff that was in the valve cover gasket kit that I got from CZP.

I did use new rubber spacers but did also go back and check the tightness of each a few times once a few hours later and to make sure they hadn't come up a day or so later.

I didn't replace the front or rear main seals or the cam seals either during this. I just did the plenum pull and replaced anything that was brittle or broken during the task of putting it back together.

As far as the leak itself, I've looked down through on the side of the motor where the smoke comes up from and cannot see any oil residue coming down from the VC's(I don't believe I could before either though). While letting it run for a bit during the oil change I was doing on the wifes car the leak started, the puddle that formed almost appeared to be coming from the backside of the motor, almost where the transmission meets. I didn't crawl underneath so I can't confirm, just how it looked upon initial realization it was still leaking and me thinking "WTF".

From the location of the puddle the rear main seal would almost make sense if the oil wasn't burning off somewhere and the smoke wasn't coming up through the motor. Has anyone had a leaky rear main and those were the symptoms?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.