TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I went around last night and checked everything I could see
People Seeking Info

Subject I went around last night and checked everything I could see

Posted by sputnikZ on August 17, 2015 at 9:22 AM
  This message has been viewed 192 times.

In Reply To Check your EGR tubes connecting to the plenum, I posted by YlwPrlZTT on August 17, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Message Checked wiring looks ok nothing pinched, grounds connected, hoses clamped no coolant leaks that I could see, no oil from valve covers, vacuum hoses ok.

I did see a little smoke rising from the exhaust manifold near brake reservoir driver side area but it was at night so couldn't tell what color. I immediately shut engine off. Will investigate more today.

Also checked EGR tubes they appear sealed. I used new gaskets for everything (EGR tubes, plenum, valve covers, balance tube). But I did notice my EGR tubes were totally clogged with crud beyond any hope of unclogging so I doubt there is any re-circulation happening.

I was super careful when seating the plenum to make sure gasket seated properly and nothing was pinched. Other stuff I did in the repair was valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, new hoses, fuel filter, regulator and dampener, cleaned all the oil residue from inside the plenum and throttle bodies after I had it removed, cleaned and put dielectric grease on all connectors.

One thing that worries me that may be completely unrelated to the burning smell is that now when I even touch the injector harness the engine noticeably shutters. I can go around and touch each connector and get a similar response which makes the idle drop really low then fluctuate until it sortof gets back to idle but then continues to sound like it's missing every few seconds.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.