TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yes I rebuilt them myself.
People Seeking Info

Subject Yes I rebuilt them myself.

Posted by xpwarrior on August 05, 2015 at 7:40 PM
  This message has been viewed 221 times.

In Reply To I take it you performed the overhaul yourself and didn't pay posted by J-Mart on August 05, 2015 at 07:23 AM

Message Most of the inspection was just visual. On the first set the turbine sealing ring had worn away part of the turbine shaft and was obviously bad on one turbo. The other had visual damage to the housing where the ring rides. Both had massive amounts of coked up oil residue that had caused damage to the heat shield under the turbine.

The next set I picked up just needed a good cleaning and the new parts from the rebuild kit. If I remember right there were measurements in the kit instructions for ring gap in the housing and side clearance on the turbine shaft. Both were checked with a feeler gauge and found to be in spec. Going with the gapless ring should compensate for a little wear on the housing.

If there is any doubt about the housing you would be better off getting a new CHRA. For me pulling the engine to change out the turbos is not a big deal so I was willing to take the chance on rebuilding.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.