TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Follow Up (Success story)
People Seeking Info

Subject Follow Up (Success story)

Posted by -Grimm- on July 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM
  This message has been viewed 297 times.

Message Follow up to my last two posts Here and Here

New rebuild was misfiring on two cylinders, checked the injectors (pass), spark (pass), compression (fail), leakdown (terrible fail)

Found that the machine shop that rebuilt the heads messed up two exhaust valves on one head which left me with 100% leakdown in two cylinders (3 and 6).

Add to this a Code 51 (Injector circuit) and you have a bad time.

Anyhow, I bought a pair of low mileage heads on here to replace my rebuilt paper weights, compression and leakdown are good, but still a miss on cylinder 6.

I rechecked everything and everything was good. Unfortunately everything was also suspect as I changed everything during the rebuild; relay box relocation, harness destruction (PTU delete with Audi coil packs, wire tuck, etc).

What it ended up being, at some point someone was playing with the ECU wiring plug and put the #6 injector signal in the wrong slot...

What I don't understand is why it was still getting a signal while I was manually rotating the CAS? Strange.

While I was in there, I depinned and pulled all the deleted sensor wires from the harness, makes it look a lot nicer.

Anyway, finally running on 6 cylinders, boost is still only 7psi but even then its still fun. Finally I have a fully running Z again.

Getting a tick when warm from the PS intake cam lifters, hoping that clears up during break in.

Also, I found an old (OLD) HKS EVC 1 (Yes, one) in a box on the shelf and decided to install it. Didn't work though, seems as if it is not receiving a pressure signal; the dot graph doesn't move, manual control does nothing. Anyone with experience on these old units? Maybe should have just tossed it instead of playing around.

------------------------------------------------------------------
1992 300ZX NA 5 Sp (Dead)
1990 300ZX NA Auto 2+2 (Dead)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (Est. 400 HP)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (Est. 600 HP)
2004 G35 Sport 6MT (DD)
2008 Honda Civic (DD)
1969 Chevy C10 (Toy)
1969 Chevelle (Toy)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.