TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: White/blue smoke on TT- turbos, rings or valves?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: White/blue smoke on TT- turbos, rings or valves?

Posted by Placuch on July 25, 2015 at 11:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 251 times.

In Reply To White/blue smoke on TT- turbos, rings or valves? posted by My300Z1 on July 25, 2015 at 02:28 PM

Message I got the same problem currently. Happens most after the oil is well warmed up and going down hills in gear (engine braking). Doesn't really smoke on start up (which would indicate valve stem seals) or on acceleration (piston rings). I've done some research and although they tell you to go after PCV first, unfortunately it seems the turbo oil seals have most likely gone bad.

Right now my theory is: oil system is pressurized by the oil pump. During idle your engine reaches high vacuum as the throttle is closed, even more so on decel when throttle is closed and there is still a load on the engine coming from the wheels. Therefore a large pressure differential is being created through that oil seal in the turbo charger. It could have 30+ psi of oil pressure on one side and approximately 23 inhg of manifold vacuum on the other side. If the seal is old and weak it will start failing under those conditions and it will only get worse to the point where it smokes constantly.

Correct me if I'm wrong on my theory.

I figured I'm just gonna drive mine on the weekends until it gets cold or until something blows :D. My engine is already tired anyway and is asking for a rebuild.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.