TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Broken Oil Pan bolt, slight leak at the RMS
People Seeking Info

Subject Broken Oil Pan bolt, slight leak at the RMS

Posted by Zbullet on July 02, 2015 at 8:41 PM
  This message has been viewed 1005 times.

Message I had a very small leak at the RMS. It wasn't dripping heavy but I could see the oil accumulating at the base of the bell housing. My CC clutch kit wasn't cheap so I prefer to fix it before I get any oil on those discs.

Anyhow, it appears the oil was leaking from the half moon. The rear main seal seemed pretty dry. I've got well under 10,000 miles on the build.

I was planning to pull everything and replace it since I have the parts ready to go (new RMS, half moon seal, and retainer plate gasket. Then I found this …

photo 20150701_193705.jpg

I figure this could be the cause of the leak. I have a sheared oil pan bolt right at the corner of the pan. I can't get a drill in there to use an easy-out and I can't get a drill bit in there otherwise I'd drill it out and re-tap the hole.

I'm a little nervous pulling it all apart now, as I don't want to replace it all only to make the leak worse. A motor pull for one broken oil pan bolt is not going to happen.

So my options are to pull it all apart and replace the seals and go a bit heavy on the RTV near the broken bolt …. OR ….. stick with whats on there and use the RTV as mortar and FILL THE GAPS, as we've seen on several recent posts.

Thoughts … Suggestions?

I've already cleaned up all the excess RTV with a small blade. Here are a few pics.

photo 20150701_193608.jpg

photo 20150701_193722.jpg

photo 20150701_193733.jpg

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.