TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - weird AC issue
People Seeking Info

Subject weird AC issue

Posted by arkansasturbo on April 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM
  This message has been viewed 358 times.

Message Well, all is not well in my Z situation anymore. It blows cold for a while and then heats back up to ambient temp. A little background on my system:

1990 TT, R134 condensor, R134 evap valve, gutted TSV, R134 compressor, original R12 evap. I have the AC kits high/low pressure switch in the dryer. I have the Frontier amp inline with the sky blue #46 wire at the ECU. Also, I have a 90 car with the 91+ controls installed (going on 3-4 years now) if that matters which I don't believe it does.

I had Jon had ZhookUp finally fix my AC back in October or so. I rarely drive the car as I'm rarely home, so I have failed to need the AC until recently. Just the other night as per Aliaz (Don) recommendation to allow compressor control, I wired up a thermo amp. The first night I wired up the thermo amp, the car blew ~40F idling in the garage. I let it run for maybe 5 minutes with no problems. The ambient temperature was cooler but not cold. I thought I was golden.

The next day I left for work in Texas. The car started out blowing well below the range of the thermo amp at like sub 30F (~75-80F ambient). Then it gradually continued to warm up until it would no longer blow any cooler than ambient. I noticed that the 10A fuse under the hood for the AC had blown. Replaced that all it did was turn the system back on and the compressor would pretty quickly cycle on and off (as it does after it warms up). I believe this to be related to the overall problem here.
I read online that if the 10A fuse under the hood blows, then normally it is because the aux fan has crapped out. That isn't the case as mine still works (no other diagnostic done there). This fuse has not blown since...just once.

If I wait a day (haven't had a chance to wait just hours), then the AC will blow cold until whatever the issue is rears its head and causes the AC to start blowing warmer and warmer, until ambient is reached.

I just today went and got a cheaper auto parts store pressure gauge and can with UV dye. I let the car run with the AC on max until the problem began cycling the compressor. The pressure gauge read between ~32-40psi (70F ambient) until the problem begain (blowing hot ambient air)...then the LOW side pressures started running a little higher than this but still below 50psi. I did NOT add refrigerant.

Cliff notes: R134 retrofit, COLD air for a bit then compressor cycling extremely quickly, ambient temp begins to blow from vents, ac charge good (as far as I can make with a cheap refill gauge)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.