TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Anyone experienced a functional but "weak" VTC solenoid?
People Seeking Info

Subject Anyone experienced a functional but "weak" VTC solenoid?

Posted by kickerzx on April 10, 2015 at 4:26 PM
  This message has been viewed 535 times.

Message Thing is my car is not making the power it should and is a little slow to build boost.
Cant find anything that would do this BUT tonight i found something weirdish.
To make sure the solenoids were working i set the ECU output that is hooked to the VTC`s to send a PWM signal at 10hz (got an aftermarket ecu...) Now my RH solenoid is clicking hard and loud. Sounds like its literaly slamming its little piston.
It was ticking so hard i couldnt hear my LH solenoid over it. So i disconnected the RH and this let me hear that the LH IS infact clicking but not with the same autorithy. Its not as powerful it sounds like. I ohmed them both to 11-12 ohm.
So.. I disconnected them both and started the engine and set the VTC to ON. Then i connected them one at the time to see if they both made a difference on idle, and they actually do. So both seems to work.
BUT, here is my hypothesis that i didnt get around to test today.
I have pretty high oilpressure at high rpm (6-8 bar).
Looking at the picture of the valves in the cams here

https://z32.wikispaces.com/Variable+Timing+Control

it looks that if it is constructed exactly like it looks like on the pictures, it LOOKS like there will be some oilpressure fighting the solenoids force. IF my LH solenoid is infact "weak" i think it might be possible that my oilpressure wins over the solenoid and the LH cam reverts back to start.
Anyone have any experience with this?
I`ll do a few runs with one solenoid hooked up at the time to see if one make more power than the other when i get around to it, and the weather allows it (not raining) and see what i find. But just wanted to throw out a feeler for the theory.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.