TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Is this a wrist pin or piston slap?
People Seeking Info

Subject Is this a wrist pin or piston slap?

Posted by Draker (Eugene, OR) on April 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM
  This message has been viewed 314 times.

Message Hey, it's been a while. I used to be pretty active on here but my Z has been running well and I haven't really done any upgrades or anything. I've just been driving it.

Anyways, I've got a engine noise that I believe is either a wrist pin or piston slap. It hasn't got any worse since I noticed it and it's been a few oil changes since.

The noise is most noticeable when the engine is cold.. and is basically gone when the engine warms up. Tell tail sign of piston slap. I've tried to find audio of another VG with this sound but have been unsuccessful.

1992 TT. The engine has not been modified, the rest of the car is basically stock. Checked compression last week 150-160psi. I still need to check the oil pressure, but it's stable and shows good pressure on the shit stock gauge for what its worth.

All spark plugs are good, everything is burning clean. Pulling the coil pack connectors one by one leads me to believe this sound is coming from #4. I'll have to test this again to be sure.

Another test I did was to remove all spark plugs and try to depress the pistons through the spark plug holes with a long dowel. To see if I could feel any play in a wrist pin. Now that I think about it the engine was warm, and that test was inconclusive.

I usually just warm the car up before driving it and don't really worry too much. Just trying to prepare for the future with this engine.

Cold Engine:

Warm Engine:

Please, let me know what you think. I'm ruling out a rod knock since it goes away when warm and oil pressure (dummy gauge) is normal.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.