TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Not sure if anyone is interested but the pre-cats are off.
People Seeking Info

Subject Not sure if anyone is interested but the pre-cats are off.

Posted by Zuberman on March 19, 2015 at 9:19 PM
  This message has been viewed 180 times.

In Reply To I'm stuck. Please help. How do I get the first set of posted by Zuberman on March 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Message It's a turbo-automatic. Having the tranny cross-member and mount removed and being able to tilt the engine forward so I could get my air-ratchet behind the top of the engine was very helpful. I soaked the fasteners overnight with lube. I used a piece of plywood just slightly larger in area than the tranny pan to put between my floor-jack and the tranny pan and lifted about 2 or so inches....GENTLY!
The thing that freaks me out is that none of the fasteners were very tight at all; not really any breaking loose of them to speak of. One of the lower nuts was even missing, and I bet it was because someone else got too frustrated trying to get it threaded with so little clearance.
I used a gear-wrench on the the driver side nuts but when I went to the passenger side my gear wrench is not narrow/thin enough at the top edge to get between the nut and the pre-cat. Luckily the nuts were not very tight so I was able to get them turning with just an ordinary open end wrench......lots of little turns.
Now that I've done it, I feel that I could do it again without disturbing the aluminum heat-shields. IMO, the biggest advantage was my air-ratchet and tilting the engine forward.
Thanks for all the help!!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.