TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Oil Temperature Help
People Seeking Info

Subject Oil Temperature Help

Posted by Slash300zx on October 03, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 1243 times.

Message Hello all, been part of the forums a long time but never really post much...anyways I've had my Z for years and recently jumped the gun and did a TT swap, feels great, but I seems to be having a problem and I don't know if it's actually a problem or a faulty oil temp sensor.

I got a Glowshift temp gauge which brought it's own sensor to plug into the engine. My problem is that the temp it is showing is always reaching and even passing 300 degrees. I haven't driven the car much after the TT swap got done, not even 200 miles yet. The car runs perfectly, pulls strong, sounds good, no smoke coming from the exhaust, and the engine temperature is perfectly sitting at about half, even in this hot as hell weather in Miami (90+ degrees).

This is the setup I'm running:
JWT 530bb Turbos
535cc injectors
MSP Exhaust manifolds
3" Downpipes
3-2.5" Test pipes
Labree 2.5" X-pipe/catback exhaust
Dual pop Charger with selin translator
Godspeed Front mount Intercooler
JWT Clutch and lightened flywheel
CZP ECU Upgrade

So, I got the damn front mount, looks fairly nice, goes with my front fascia and got it for very cheap (I know I know) I am going to stick with the front mount for now, at least until I can get maybe the massive ashspecs, but I had to relocate the oil cooler because there is no space with the dual intakes and the front mount there. Oil cooler is at the passenger side's original intercooler location and included the restrictor in the line with the relocation. It gets plenty of air flow in there since I have a Wings West front fascia and has a decent opening there to get air from.

So like I was saying, the oil temperature is showing as reaching and even passing the 300 degree mark but then the engine temperature never goes up past half, the car doesn't overheat and it is not failing in any way so far, which I kind of find a little strange because I've read that the oil and engine temp go more or less even so if my oil is getting so hot, wouldn't my engine start overheating?

I've thought of the possibility of the sensor not reading right. I got an oil sandwich adapter in the oil filter and the sensor is plugged right there next to the filter and oil pressure sensor. It sits in a pretty hot place, I'd think (next to the turbo and downpipe), so I don't know if that is affecting the readings. I've noticed too that there are spikes up and down in the temperature reading, would be at 300 and suddenly drop to 220 and go back up etc etc... and yesterday I tested the car and went over some bumps and noticed the temperature went crazy while going over the bumps. The day before I drove the car for about an hour and the temps were pretty steady at around 230 degrees.

So this is driving me crazy, anybody that's got a similar setup or anybody have any ideas as to what I can do here or have any insight?

Thanks

You've been Slashed

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.