TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Some questions about my Z
People Seeking Info

Subject Some questions about my Z

Posted by tsahlin489 on December 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 423 times.

Message Hey everyone,
I just purchased a 1990 NA Z32 2+0

Before purchasing the vehicle I had it checked in depth by a mechanic and the report read as follows;

"Rack and Pinion boots are torn and leaking a lot of power steering fluid, need to replace rack and pinion. Power steering pump has a minor leak as well. Engine front main seal is leaking. Valve cover gasket is leaking. Brake light coming up upon braking, however does not affect brakes. Shifter has a little play, however enters all gears fine."

I was planning to place a fairly large purchase on (DriveWire).com and replace the Rack and Pinion, power steering pump, and valve cover gasket.
However, when started this morning I noticed a very strong fuel smell coming from the air vents, and I suppose that means I have a cracked hose or need a new fuel regulator?

When the car is on, there is an orange light that resembles a windshield wiper(?) that remains on 100% of the time (very top left light) and as mentioned in the report, upon applying brake pressure a red light that reads 'lights' turns on. Is this simply a dirty sensor, or a bad ground perhaps?

The shifter does have quite a bit of play and is noticeably loud when moving it around or going into gear. Not a grind, just... loud. What could be done to fix this? New shifter bushings?

My speedometer also dropped to 0mph when I was traveling approximately 50mph, stayed at 0mph as if the vehicle were not in motion, and then jumped back up to the correct speed a few minutes later. Would this be the speed sensor beginning to go out? All other gauges worked properly at this time.

My apologies for the lack of introduction and such a long post, hopefully you guys can point me in the correct direction of what to purchase, where to purchase, and priority of purchases.

Thanks in advance!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.