TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - On Coilpacks (Part Two)
People Seeking Info

Subject On Coilpacks (Part Two)

Posted by Stadsport (PHX) on March 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 5134 times.

Message I did a little more research into coil packs, ended up comparing those found on different cars, and ultimately got my hesitation issue
fixed by installing the correct coil packs. Here's what I found.
-There are two model numbers of coilpacks (22433-30P00 and 22433-30P01), and each model has two different types. I do not know
when/why the two different sub-models came to be or which is a superior design.

The two left coilpacks are N/A, the right two are TT. This picture also shows 3-digit white printed lettering on the undersides of
the coilpacks, for which I haven't found any rhyme or reason--some don't have it at all (far left). I believe they're production batches; as
you can see each one of these coilpacks has a different batch number, if that's what it is.

-Both models (NA and TT) have two versions, one that uses springs to make contact with the spark plugs and one that uses little
contact points mounted on springs. These contact points are actually repeated twice in each coilpack: once at the coil itself, and
once in the extension. The N/A spring-type (2nd from the left) uses a thicker spring than the TT version, but the extension is a single,
solid spring running all the way through. The TT uses a solid wire inside the extension with a spring on one end and a contact point on
the other. The kinds with little contact points at the firing tip have identical extensions (I'm assuming these are a later version, but I'm
not certain).

-22433-30P00 is the N/A coilpack. 22433-30P01 is the TT coilpack.
-NA coilpacks have raised, molded lettering for their model numbers. TT coilpacks have printed, white lettering for their model numbers.

-NA coilpacks with a single spring use a thicker spring than the TT version, but the TT version has contact points inside the extension,
wheras the N/A coilpack is a solid spring all the way through.

-Aside from the different model numbers, ALL coilpacks have molded lettering saying "HANSHIN MCP-400 12V"
-NA and TT coilpacks do perform differently. I don't know how they differ electronically, but when running N/A coilpacks, my car (TT)
would randomly misfire under high load, which presented itself as bucking/hesitation. I tried 3 different sets of N/A coilpacks with
nearly identical results every time. With TT coilpacks, this problem is completely gone. My car is running new PFR6B-11B's. I believe if both
were brand new and compared the N/A coilpacks would probably work fine in a TT, but after 20 years of engine bay heat, this is no longer
the case.

Please VTF if you found this information helpful.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.