TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I ran stock TT in the front and Stillen in the rear. Others
People Seeking Info

Subject I ran stock TT in the front and Stillen in the rear. Others

Posted by Gordo 96NA Daytona on March 27, 2018 at 9:33 PM
  This message has been viewed 176 times.

In Reply To Re: If you haven't driven a Z32 with a coilovers, do that first> posted by succafool on March 26, 2018 at 10:51 PM

Message prefer different set ups. I was less concerned about cornering and front grip than keep the rear planted so I stiffened up the back end. Sway bars are the last thing to play with.

While you are searching options, begin to ask vendors about spring rates instead of just asking what's the ride like?

Springs and Shocks 300zx

Application: 93 Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo

Current fitment: Eibach progressive sport springs and OEM (KYB) cabin 2-way adjustable (sport/tour) shocks. Suspension Techniques roll bars. 245/40x17 front; 275/40x17 rear.

Objective: I want keep the one inch drop provided by the Eibach springs, but return to a more compliant ride offered by the softer OEM spring rates and longer spring travel. My major complaint is pothole impact harshness and a bouncy ride. I am willing to forego roll stiffness, for a smoother ride.

My idea is to lower the ride height by lowering the bottom spring perch using GC adjustable threaded sleeves and associated spring perch hardware on the OEM shocks. I understand the old perch would need to be removed, and the Ground Control adjustable sleeve fitted to the OEM shock tube.

Spring rates:

OEM
TT Front: 168 lbs/in or 3.0 Kg/mm
TT Rear: 134 lbs/in or 2.4 Kg/mm

Eibach Spring Rates (Progressive Rates)
TT Front: 182 lbs/in up to 251 lbs/in
TT Rear: 142 lbs/in up to 199 lbs/in

Tien H tech (progressive) Source: Z1 Motorsports.com
Front Spring Rate - 3.3 kg/mm / 185 lbs/in
Rear Spring Rate - 3.2 kg/mm / 179 lbs/in

What is the spring rate and travel length of the spring? Most coilovers are in the 8kg to 6kg range, which is much stiffer than OEM rates.

Yes, a softer more compliant spring, with the appropriate matching shock, can result in the tires’ contact patch being more stable, e.g. gripping the road instead of skipping over the road surface. This in turn may reduce overall braking distance.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.