TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - StopTech Brake Kit for Z32 (Pics fixed?)
People Seeking Info

Subject StopTech Brake Kit for Z32 (Pics fixed?)

Posted by 90Turbo(CA) on August 29, 2002 at 8:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 2136 times.

Message OK people, I don’t post very often so bear with me.

It was my 1990 twin turbo used for the StopTech brake design and test.
I was introduced to them by SeedyRom (Best of luck with your project Ryan!) and approached this “opportunity” with my usual skepticism. (I’m an engineer and work in the automotive industry.) I was immediately impressed with three things: 1. The obvious quality of their product. (They make almost everything in the kit themselves including the SS lines. They are DOT registered for the manufacture and testing of the lines.) 2. Their intimate knowledge of automotive braking systems. And, 3.That they test and design for each application.
I have wanted to do a much needed brake upgrade for some time now, so I agreed to work with StopTech to develop a kit for the Z32.

The key with StopTech, is to properly size the front caliper’s pistons to match the dynamics of the vehicle’s handling, suspension and ABS systems. A kit with too much front brake will prematurely engage the ABS before the rear brakes are fully contributing to the braking effort. This can result in increased stopping distances from stock. This can also reduce vehicle stability in both straight-line, and more importantly, corner braking. Another benefit is that the braking effort is reduced and pedal feel is improved over stock. It is not “grabby” or over-boosted, that is the point with StopTech.

The test was held last Friday at California Speedway on a ½ mile parking lot.

My car:
Stage 3
Stillen cross drilled rotorsF&R
Metal Matrix pads F&R
Good ridge SS lines F&R
Bridgestone S03’s; 255/40-17 on 17x9F, 285/30-18 on 18x9.5R
Stock springs
Stock shocks
Stillen Swaybars F/R
Greg Dupree sub frame spacers

StopTech did a full battery of tests on my car with both the “stock” and StopTech systems installed. A radar gun and contact digital temperature probe were used to record all data. We spent well over 8 hours out there to ensure that this kit would outperform stock braking distances and improve stability.

Here are the results:

Speed-------------stock 60-0---------stock 80-0*--------stock 100-0*
Average-----------120.06---------------219.24------------------338.69
Minimum----------113.83---------------214.20------------------332.93

Speed---------Stoptech 60-0------Stoptech 80-0------Stoptech 100-0
Average------------113.45---------------204.21------------------323.75
Minimum-----------110.62---------------200.57-----------------320.42

· These stops were done with the ABS active.
· The stock system required cool down laps between runs to record data on the 80 mph and above stops.*

Rotor temperatures improved 100-200 deg. F over the stock temps observed. Stock fade was a big concern for me. I like to drive the canyons and regularly faded my prior set-up. The stock system could not repeat 80-0 stops without fading. The StopTech system could do back to back 100-0 runs with no fade. I think that I now have enough brakes for the canyons and will also be able to attend a track event with confidence.

As you can tell, I’m happy with the results. Everyone whom I have had the pleasure of working with at StopTech was professional and committed to making this system right for the Z32. I wish that there were more companies in the automotive aftermarket like them.

Details (All preliminary data):

-Kit Cost $1,995.00

Includes
-4 piston calipers
-332mm x 32mm Cross Drilled or Slotted FLOATING Rotors w/ directional hats
-Front SS lines
-Front & Rear Pads

A few caveats:
1. I did get a discount for helping develop the kit.
2. I don’t get anything for any kits that they sell.
3. I haven’t put that many miles on the system yet and some final fine-tuning is in the works.
4. No noise/squeal/problems as of yet.
5. PLEASE do not E-mail me with questions. I’m pretty busy these days as those of you who know me can attest to. Contact www.StopTech.com ] ">www.StopTech.com with any questions on cost, availability, group buys, or testing clarifications. I know that I’ve left out some big details, but StopTech requested that I protect their proprietary testing methods and I respect that. If you have a general question, post here and I’ll try to reply.

The last thing I can say is that for the type of driving that I enjoy most, the stock brakes were not adequate. I’m glad to have finally completed the most important upgrade on my car so that I can now think about more power again!

Please don’t turn this into a “My kit’s better than yours” thread. I just wanted to share my experience and introduce a new option to improve the Z32’s braking.

Safe Driving!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.