TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - You guys will want to check out some videos on using ONR
People Seeking Info

Subject You guys will want to check out some videos on using ONR

Posted by Polishzx on July 12, 2024 at 3:07 PM
  This message has been viewed 95 times.

In Reply To Dang you people - I just got a bottle as well. (n/m) posted by CameronSF on July 12, 2024 at 11:57 AM

Message Tons of youtube content out there on it. Using it is different than soap, so it isn't the same process. A quick summary of how it works, at least how I understand it: All soap leaves residue on paint after rinsing. A lot of damage that happens to your clear is from dry non-lubricated towels running along the surface even though it is clean. ONR is polymer-based formula that encapsulates dirt and removes it, but also leaves a polymer residue on the surface that protects and lubricates the clear as you're drying. The more you wash the car with ONR the better because the polymer will start to build up, and thats what makes car washes easier the more you use it. ONR was made by "Dr G" who had a hand in developing Clear Coat, apparently.

In terms of actually using it to wash, there are a bunch of different methods. The process is always the same though: Wash a panel/section/side with ONR, then dry it right away with a towel before moving on to the next section to wash. If your car is really filthy, you can rinse it off before starting with ONR, but the point is you'll never rinse off after using ONR because it's all about that polymer residue. Wash a panel with ONR then dry right away with good Microfiber drying towels, move on to wash on next section/panel/side.

I believe its .5 oz of ONR per gallon of water. So I do 2oz in four gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket usually. You want this to be accurate.

The official method to work with ONR is a sponge which you'll see referenced in videos, but there are tons of other methods you can use. One method I saw online that I personally like the most is to soak micro-fiber towels in your bucket and use one towel to wash whatever section, then that towel is done and set aside in a dirty bucket. One fresh ONR soaked microfiber per section of car. I'll generally use 5 or 6 to wash the Z.

I also have an "iK Multi PRO 2 Pump Sprayer" that is popular on youtube as well, which works great to pre-soak with ONR. I'll also fill it up from the bucket after I'm done washing and that's what I use as a quick-detailer in between washes without having to mix up a new batch. Nice to use versus a spray bottle. There is also a "Foam" verison of this that is great but NOT used with ONR.

You'll definitely want to purchase some high quality microfiber drying towels. The Rag Company seems to be a favorite and they do have very high quality products. I use their towels for washing and drying.

Lastly, Optimum has a whole host of products, coatings, polishes, sealants, spray wax, etc. You can dive as deep as you want into it. For the job that I did on my Z in this thread I used:

ONR v5
Rag Company synthetic clay scrubber
Optimum Hyper Compound w/ orbital buffer and orange foam pad
Optimum Hyper Polish w/ orbital buffer and orange foam pad
Optimum Hyper Seal (Expensive but great product)
Optimum Car Wax

Normally when I wash I just do ONR with Car Wax, and the occasional application of Hyper Seal.

Looking forward to some pics!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.