TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yet another driveshaft preference request
People Seeking Info

Subject Yet another driveshaft preference request

Posted by shawmanz32na on May 12, 2023 at 11:55 AM
  This message has been viewed 265 times.

Message Yes, I've searched! The opinions seem to vary, and it's been a while since the last person dared ask, so I'm going to ask again with the context of what's available today.

If I have a stock (N/A, 2+0, Manual) driveshaft that has developed play in the u-joints:
- What's the best driveshaft available today (in terms of NVH and reliability?
- Are there any secret sources for new or like-new condition OEM driveshafts?
- Assuming OEM is NLA, would an aftermarket one-piece or aftermarket 2-piece be the lesser evil (in terms of NVH and reliability)?
- If one-piece is the way to go, does anyone have any personal experience / comments on Z1 vs CZP vs others? What's the better product?

Some personal notes - OEM is NLA, otherwise I'd already have ordered one. I'm interested primarily in lowest NVH and highest reliability, and would be fine with a steel driveshaft when looking aftermarket.

For additional context, I've been chasing a diff whine that came back in under 10k miles in a replacement diff, and I'm trying to eliminate any potential underlying causes to prevent it from happening again. I jiggled, shook, and twisted my driveshaft on the car and couldn't determine any play in the center bearing nor u-joints, but took it to a local driveline shop to be inspected on a balancer, and they've informed me there is measurable play in the u-joints that could be contributing to the diff failures, and that the u-joints are non-serviceable. They quoted me ~$600 for a steel one-piece (with cardboard internals to reduce NVH), but I'm trying to figure out what the best available option is.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.