TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Update on my E85/Haltech conversion, in case anyone's dying
People Seeking Info

Subject Update on my E85/Haltech conversion, in case anyone's dying

Posted by Woodnutz (PA) on January 25, 2023 at 12:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 274 times.

Message to know.

I completed reassembly and Nik from Haltech setup my inital map later this past summer (wastegate boost only...and I didn't even get on it at all). Simply a drive-around map to let the self-tuning feature do it's thing for the fueling.

I found right away that I had a boost/vacuum leak - had the bouncing idle once the car was warmed up. Still driveable, but would die every now and then at stops. I drove it a few times a week, with the highlight being my wife driving my son to the homecoming dance in the car. I followed in our minivan, just in case there was an issue, which turned out to be a treat for me. I've never really seen or heard the car from the outside. She definitely doesn't disappoint. Car looks and sounds amazing. I got a real kick at her pulling up to the back of the school with a 100' long line of students on the sidewalk - I swear, you could almost hear their heads snapping to look at the car. Pretty cool moment for all of us.

Shortly after, when I was hunting for the vacuum leak (which I didn't find), with the engine running, I could hear sputtering from the DS fuel rail. Confirmed by listening with a long 1/4" extension to my ear. With that, I thought it best to shut her down and check some things. Pulled the plenum and fuel rails off, pulled the injectors and took extra time re-seating them. Rails and plenum are back on and finally opted to replace some of the 30+ year-old electrical connectors (square temp and air reg ones). I was literally wrapping them up when I saw the ground wire for the knock sensor connector broken off right at the connector (harness side). I'm currently right in the middle of replacing that with a new connector also (thanks, Bernie for getting everything to be so quickly!).

HOPEFULLY, I'll manage to carve out the time here pretty soon to get that portion back together. Once that's done, it's time to get the car in the air and install the JWT HD clutch (thanks again, Bernie!), "new to me" fan shroud and CZP power steering hose.

Once all that's done, I'll resume driving around to let the fuel trims adjust, and once it's in a decent spot, it'll be time to get on the dyno. WHP limit will be 500-525. New tires will be required along the way somewhere too - still planning on Toyo R888R.

Looking forward to the day when I'll be able to post a dyno video, and praying it's an uneventful one.

- Aaron

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.