TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I ask because . .
People Seeking Info

Subject I ask because . .

Posted by Mike@ZSpeed on September 01, 2022 at 4:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 231 times.

In Reply To Pic? Of needle on E posted by Mike@ZSpeed on August 31, 2022 at 11:34 AM

Message I ask because I try to run ethanol in the summer months.
But here in MN ethanol varies significantly.
The pumps clearly state anything between 51%-83% can be sold as E85 here in MN.

I noticed last year my ethanol content analyzer varied and always read between 62%-68% all summer.
Unacceptable.

So this year I bought a ethanol testing kit and 1 night I went to 10 stations in my area and tested each station twice.
8 stations read in the low 60 percentile.
1 station ( Minoco ) read 80-82%. And the Minoco station 3 miles away read ( get this..) 13%.

I went back to both Minoco stations the next day and tested again. Both stations read the same.

I went home and got ZSPEED and immediately went back to the station that tested @ 80-82% and filled her up.
I also stopped and got 2 VP Racing 5 gallon containers and filled them up with the 80% and stored them in a cool dark spot in the lower level of the garage.

* @ the time she had half a tank ( according to the needle ) of 64% ethanol.
After filling her up she was in the low 70’s. ( if I recall but math geeks dont shoot )

Ironically that same weekend a VP Racing station opened up 5 miles away from Minoco.
But they sell 87, 89, 91 and Sunoco 100 ( $11/gallon ) but no E85.
However they can order any VP Racing fuel you would like in 5 or 55 gallon drums.

I ordered 1 5 gal. container of E85 and X98. The plan was to run the current tank empty and then fill up with the 80% and some X98 to try and get as close to 85% as possible.
I got impatient and before the tank got empty I poured in 6 gallons of 80% and 5 gallons of X98.
Then ran the car and watched the content climb up to 78% ( or close to. Again math geeks dont quote me ).

I would like to know how many gallons are left in the tank when I fill up in the future. Then according to my current level of gallons in the tank and current ethanol % I can mix in X98 properly to get as close to 85% as possible.

There are online and app. Calculators to calculate how much of which gas at what % to mix to get to your desired ethanol %.
However these apps need to know how many gallons you currently have filled and empty to properly calculate.

** I have thought about filling up when the needle is exactly at a hash tag and then deduct the amount of gallons filled to the size of the tank. And then make a sticky note ( put in glove box ) of how many gallons I have left. And in the future properly fill up with the correct ethanol % to try to get to 85%.

Confused yet...

I did notice the lower the ethanol content tested @ each station the more yellow the fuel. The higher the ethanol content the more clear.

`
1990 NA
1993 TT

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.