TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - A Word of Caution When Searching for Parts Online
People Seeking Info

Subject A Word of Caution When Searching for Parts Online

Posted by Denis on April 22, 2022 at 1:10 PM
  This message has been viewed 430 times.

Message I have a Smart Car and I have been looking for a replacement for the Apron/Spoiler that fits under the rear bumper of a '09 Brabus. While doing that I came across a site named 2040Parts.com. They had what I was looking for and used their "contact us" tab to find out if it was still in stock. Upon hitting send my network firewall sent me a message saying "... computer was trying to contact a malicious website and the activity was blocked". I looked at the firewall log and the address the contact-us tab was trying to connect to was an obscure dark web address.

I did some web research and found that the 2040Parts web site is populated by the bad-guys scanning the web and pulling old legitimate ads from Ebay/Craig's list/etc to build their product list & prices. The only way to order the part is click the contact-us button, at which time they connect you to their dark web site that more than likely infects your computer, or takes control, or downloads your data.

There parts list covered all makes and models. A number of people posted on Google that they have seen ads of theirs from years back, identical except non of their contact info.

Beware, these are dangerous cyber times; I have been an IT professional for 30 years and and cyber security is getting more difficult to enforce every year.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.