TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Do you want to duplicate the original wheel color?
People Seeking Info

Subject Do you want to duplicate the original wheel color?

Posted by 240Z FeO2 on January 16, 2022 at 1:46 PM
  This message has been viewed 309 times.

In Reply To Color options when powder coating/painting wheels posted by beanz on January 15, 2022 at 07:16 PM

Message Once upon a time I wanted to find the original color of the SMZ AVS-5 wheels. I reasoned that this was a paint color Nissan was using at the time and borrowed that manufacturer's 1995 paint samples from an auto paint supplier.

From these samples, 1995 Nissan Quicksilver Metallic KL2 seemed like a prime candidate. I had a spray can mixed of that color, painted the center part of a AVS-5 wheel and clear coated it. With an original center cap as a reference and installed, the paint appeared identical to the cap when viewed under fluorescent and natural sun light. Maybe you can use KL2 as a reference for powder coat.

TIGER Drylac Bengal Silver powder is similar but not identical to KL2 IMHO. It is darker. I had a wheel set down in that color, but it is ugly with Glacier White and I stripped it.

Chance favors the informed

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.