TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I can totally understand when previous owner buys a Z32
People Seeking Info

Subject I can totally understand when previous owner buys a Z32

Posted by Ghoztt (MD) on December 09, 2021 at 7:49 PM
  This message has been viewed 222 times.

In Reply To when you drive both cars back to back posted by moxie (SF) on December 09, 2021 at 11:03 AM

Message with the sole intention of keeping it as stock as possible to enjoy it as intended in factory form. You would be correct; I do not own a 997 911 Turbo and have only driven cars of that modern pedigree on occasion. From the start comparing the 2 cars from a factory stock perspective would be ludicrous given the length of time between their manufacture, if they are both in average current condition. By now, all Z32's are 20~30+ years old and require maintenance to bring them up to their intended level of performance, especially most higher mileage examples that we see today. 20+ years of being exposed to the elements and varying driving styles or maintenance schedules, (or lack thereof), reveals neglect to every aspect on the car. Also, let's not forget you're comparing a rear engine car to a Front (even as a mid-ship) engine car, the chassis will behave differently with weight transfer by design, but both have pros and cons.

No disrespect intended, as I've known you a long time over this forum... You have no mod list in your profile. So please correct me if I'm wrong, but am I to assume you have almost nothing done to your suspension? You have upgraded turbos with a few bolt-ons for support, but not even efficiently utilizing the power mods you've spent money on. In the braking department, you have off the shelf rotors w/ 350z brembos? What brake pads? Did you modify your brake bias to match? You're not even in the same ballpark with the car you’re comparing it to because you're not even trying, and then surprised, (or disappointed), when it can't win in an unfair fight? Saying things like "The Z can't compete with that level of precision, power and speed" when it was clearly BUILT from the ground up to go against the giants of its day FROM Porsche not so long ago, among many others, and whooped their ass. Your 997 has what, 500hp? 500hp is a joke to the Z32TT with all the modern aftermarket parts we have access to. And it can be done in a comfortable, quiet chassis without breaking a sweat. Hell, it can be done on STOCK turbos. I know you're stuck using either ethanol or 91 octane, but you need to let those 530's breathe and get rid of the many bottlenecks inherit in the Z32 platform.

You have an opportunity with having a modern sports car at your fingertips to analyze and address any issue on your Z to meet or exceed that bar, anytime you want. Tighten those loose bolts, squeaky plastic clips, upgrade materials if you want to in your interior. Get some Nismo or polyurethane bushings in your suspension and address the old worn-out sloppy bushings, modernize your car in the areas that are worn out and get your driving confidence back. I said the modern Porsches were amazing in stock form, but they have many flaws. They are easily within reach of a moderately modified and comfortable Z32 in nearly ALL aspects. You said you enjoyed putting time and effort into the Z32, so modernize it to match or exceed your expectations without settling in any area. If you have the money, it can be done, probably for a much cheaper price than the 997. Just don't say it can't be done or is impossible, that's just pure ignorance and bias.

FWIW - I've seen Z's and many other older 90's JDM cars totally wipe the floor with 996's and 997's, my own previous Z included. I would concede that the 997 is a much better all-around car from the factory, without a doubt. However, you can make anything "better" with the correct work done and modernization. I'm not calling YOU out specifically Moxie, please do not take offence, we are all friends here. If you want to retain the "early 1990's JDM" feel there's nothing wrong with that. The Z32 is just like any other old sportscar, only as good as the money you put back into it to restore and modernize it. The choice is yours to make.

1993 Nissan 300ZX Slicktop (Oxford Gray Metallic)
1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R (Gunmetal Gray)
- Long Live the Z and Godzirra! -
"Love cars. Love people. Love life." - Mr. K.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.