TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I don't disagree although engine sound does not always
People Seeking Info

Subject I don't disagree although engine sound does not always

Posted by Ghoztt (MD) on November 04, 2021 at 9:12 AM
  This message has been viewed 180 times.

In Reply To RB is only more popular because of 2 reasons.. posted by Stanky (BC) on November 03, 2021 at 09:00 PM

Message equate to what we hear from the exhaust since exhaust piping designs can significantly affect engine tone. I feel like this area is rather subjective and relies on the correct parts to be installed. You can easily search and find a wide range of I-6 vs V6 engine exhaust sounds. From my personal experience, I have personally heard some atrocious sounding 2JZ/RB exhaust systems that match right up there with the worst VG/V6 sounds, and actually think the 2JZ sounds significantly worse than a RB. All VQ based cars sound mediocre to me, hollow raspy ear bombardment for days.

Personally, I prefer to work on the top side of an RB than a VG, however, I would rather work on the bottom side of a VG over an RB due to packaging w/ the awd system. Everything else, the Z32 chassis is easier IMO. This video is only a fragment of the pros and cons of the designs of the engines themselves. They left out some of the biggest details while vomiting out misinformation on what they did provide. Quite unfortunate really that they can't seem to do much more than half-ass read even a basic wiki page for information.

Agreed on bearing design, but isn't the rotating assembly on the VG lighter w/ the shorter crankshaft? I thought I read data on that awhile back. The RB block is weak by design and frequently cracks down the center above 600~700hp due to torsional twist, they require a bedplate on higher power builds, whereas you won't find a cracked VG block. The VG is a stronger engine hands down even with the smaller bearing journals, with mainly the girdle twisting and fretting being the weak point, thanks to companies like BDE we can make that issue a thing of the past. The 2JZ has a slew of it's own issues as well and has many limitations that need solving before pursuing big power reliably, just like the other 2 engines.

They are all great engines in their own respect. Each showing varying pros and cons. One could say if the VG had the same level of aftermarket support as either of those I-6's I'm sure they would put down the same potential numbers since we see the comparisons pointing to that on the lower to mid range area of the power scale.

1993 Nissan 300ZX Slicktop (Oxford Gray Metallic)
1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R (Gunmetal Gray)
- Long Live the Z and Godzirra! -
"Love cars. Love people. Love life." - Mr. K.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.