TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Seems like the best wear is attributed to a 20w-50 weight
People Seeking Info

Subject Seems like the best wear is attributed to a 20w-50 weight

Posted by Stanky (BC) on June 17, 2021 at 8:46 PM
  This message has been viewed 308 times.

In Reply To How long have your bearings lasted with High HP? posted by Z Force1 on June 17, 2021 at 07:42 PM

Message SZ, Zshack and many other use this weight. I remember Scott from Zshack posting his experiences with bearings looking great (700whp+) after x amount of miles. They’re the ones that have really done testing on them, and so it’s those guys I make my decisions on. Everyone else saying anything else(including myself) is just speculation at best. IMO, based on the real world testing I’ve seen, if you run anything more than 400whp you should be using a 20w-50 weight. Our rod bearing journals are smaller than a 2j or rb, which makes the “oil film” on the crank that much more important under load. 20w-50 has been shown to provide the best oil film protection from what I’ve seen.

Also, for those that think “it’s too thick”, check the factory esm oil viscosity chart.. it was acceptable even by Nissan engineers back in the 90s.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.