TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I've used kerosene with good results on two cars;
People Seeking Info

Subject I've used kerosene with good results on two cars;

Posted by Gordo LSZ Daytona on June 14, 2021 at 8:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 175 times.

In Reply To Random pics of my restoration project. posted by Glenn (San Jose) on June 13, 2021 at 08:32 PM

Message An assortment of brushes, old rags, scotch pads etc. seemed to be the best method. Rubber gloves are a necessity, and it helps if they have wrist cuffs that you can turn out to keep the stuff from running down your arms. Use care with aluminum parts as solvents like mag wheel cleaner leave a grey stain in the finish itself.

An oil based paint, like Rustoleum, was used to coat the inside of the rear wheel wells and on the section around the spare tire well.

The ABS covers including fuel and brake line louvered strips were removed, and the steel lines 'carefully' scrubbed. Care was taken to preserve the metal finish on these lines.

Those paint items not refinished were coated with Amour-All or something similar to help maintain and preserve the shine factor; although once in the rain, it was pretty much gone. I've even used furniture polish, auto detailer, and WD-40 for this purpose. Getting underneath every six months or so, brings back the underside to presentable show condition.

The first Z, a '93 had 30K miles, and was on jackstands w/o disassembling anything except major parts like exhaust system. Cosmoline was heavy and everywhere including a lot in the engine bay.

The second Z, a '96 had 200K miles, and was on a lift and completely disassembled for paint and/or powder coating. Cosmoline was very light. I especially liked the look of the aluminum gas tank when finished although it takes six month regular polishing to stay shiny.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.