TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yay, it runs!
People Seeking Info

Subject Yay, it runs!

Posted by Stanky (BC) on June 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM
  This message has been viewed 795 times.

Message If had a few instances where this car has led me on a wild goose chase, but I think this time around takes the cake. I made a post earlier about it, but finally got it running so figured I'd share the "journey"

Misfire from B1 only. 1/3 not firing, 5 has a tone change, but very slight. so lets say it ran on 3.5 cylinders.

Swapped coils from bank/bank, no change. Swapped CAS, no change. Swapped PTU, no change... inspected plugs are decided to replace these anyways
Untitled

Misfire still present... Used spark tested to confirm that spark is present in 1/3, even made sure voltages/continuity are present to PTU. and from PTU to coil. All good

So, I figured it was time for a dreaded compression test. Engine is 3 years old and has never had it checked because I'd rather not know lol but we did it, and results were good!(more on this in a second). got 130-145psi on all 6, with a bone cold engine and JWT 500 cams. I considered it a win, AND had me believe the mechanical timing was ok....Usually if youre off a teeth or 2, you'll see significant differences between the banks, which I didn't....but boy was I wrong!

Breathing a sigh of relief
Untitled

At this point I thought well maybe the injectors are acting up with 3 years on constant E85(still wasn't sold on this being the issue), but removed them and had them cleaned/flow tested. They are great
Untitled

Figured this would be a good time to fix all the butchered threads on the plenum from all the years
Untitled

upon re-installing the injectors, and realizing the misfire is STILL present, I began thinking timing again, even tho the compression numbers were good..and would ya know, B1 exhaust cam jumped 1 tooth. It's supposed to have 24 cogs between the EX and IN, and I had 25. I must have counted them 10 times on 5 different occasions lol the worst part about all of this is I HAD MY COVERS OFF ALREADY, I could have easily counted the teeth a long time ago, but you live and learn!
Untitled

So new belt/tensioner installed, set to 4mm, again.. how it jumped I dont know
Untitled

Another "funny" part. When I move homes a few years ago, I left some spare Z parts at my parents house while moving..one of the items being my timing covers. My parents told me MANY times to come grab the stuff or theyll throw it out(i had lots of crap there), and I was yes mother I will come grab them soon. They gave me a deadline, and I once again was arrogant.. so I literally payed the price when I went there one day to pickup my covers, and they were thrown out......... fan shroud too.

Now, here's where you all can roast me..I wanted to try out the AMS smoked covers. I figured this..it wasnt a copied product, and theres no way itll affect the performance on the engine. It's the only part I have, and ever will order from them, but I must say I do like the look of them, and surprisingly it actually fit properly. I also ordered the Zspec harware kit, which was fantastic!
Untitled

More goodies! Some of you pay know that the Jspec headlights are backordered/rumored to be discontinued. I went to my parts manager and told him to order both lamps ASAP. At the time of order, both lamps were back ordered. A few days later, the LH lamp cleared and had an ETA arrival date. It showed up on Friday
Untitled

My co-worker licking his lips with me about how gorgeous these really are
Untitled

As of right now the RH lamp is still on back order, but hasnt been cancelled by Nissan. In my experience, discontinued parts will be quickly cancelled, so the fact this is still on back order(its been 2-3 weeks now) is a good sign. We'll see if I get the RH or not, but if not ill have to source it elsewhere. My manger has already sent multiple emails up to higher people, so I'll see if he can work his magic.

Car drove great after firing it up, no more misfire, WEUU! Took it to work to do an oil change
Untitled

Happy Friday ya'll
Untitled

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.