TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - No offense, but what you describe sounds like the engine
People Seeking Info

Subject No offense, but what you describe sounds like the engine

Posted by LitlElvis on April 04, 2021 at 11:43 AM
  This message has been viewed 222 times.

In Reply To Re: I view a $14K quote for the labor to rebuild a VG posted by DanielThomas on April 03, 2021 at 02:08 PM

Message needs a lot of help.

1) 2.2mm thick head gasket - I assume because either the block, heads, or both were excessively machined?

2) positive deck clearance +0.3mm - due to above?

3) loss of compression on an entire bank of cylinders - either the gasket surfaces are not flat or possibly the cylinder head bolt washer surfaces have caved in from using too small of washers.

4) spun rod bearings on #2, 3, 4, and 5 300 miles after rebuild - are you replacing these rods or refurbishing?

5) scored cylinder walls from bearing debris - from your description, it sounds like you ball-honed these cylinders while half of the engine was still assembled ("I have a cometic still on the other cylinder bank and its holding well with good compression.")?

6) turbos die after replacing the head gasket for #3 above.

7) balance out - due to necessary crankshaft and rod replacement from spun bearings.

Personally, I wouldn't put one more new part on the engine or pay for any more machine work until it was disassembled 100% and inspected entirely. I would also find another set of VTCs to install because the ones you have now are likely contaminated with bearing debris.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.