TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Average price of gapping rings and building short block?
People Seeking Info

Subject Average price of gapping rings and building short block?

Posted by DanielThomas on April 02, 2021 at 9:09 PM
  This message has been viewed 396 times.

Message Hi guys,

I gave my pistons, rods, crankshaft and flywheel to an engine builder to balance it and also to gap the piston rings and install them, aswell as installing the crankshaft and bearings. I was shocked when I returned to a bill of $2757.95 (£1995.60) . He also drilled out the 4 sludge traps in the crankshaft and inserted grub screws, plus removed the 4 oil jets + restrictors to put new ones in and changed my core plugs.

I wasn't expecting it to be so much, who thinks this is in line with the average practice? The guy seems to think that if he continued and installed the cylinder heads and the rest of the engine and returned it to me on the stand as a 'full engine rebuild' the STARTING price for this would be $13,824.30 (£10,000)

He is a marine engineer with 40 years experience that prides himself on supposedly currently building a boat engine for the CEO of Aston Martin. Personally I think hes just a liar and a conman and iv'e been taken for a ride and hes ripping me off, either way i was forced to pay this bill and the engine had a rod knock after 20 minutes of idling so i plan to contest what he says but I need some solid advice.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.