TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Nice writeup. I have a few notes
People Seeking Info

Subject Nice writeup. I have a few notes

Posted by WhiTTe Z on October 15, 2020 at 9:35 PM
  This message has been viewed 90 times.

In Reply To Comparing the Z & the 997 posted by moxie (SF) on October 04, 2020 at 02:49 AM

Message Firstly, beautiful car. I've always drooled over 911 Turbos.

Exhaust note: I have been on a long spirited cruise behind a 997 Turbo and it was one of the greatest exhaust sounds I've ever heard. It was a full aftermarket system from the turbos back, (I think it was Sharkwerks, but not positive). So with the right setup, I'm confident you can absolutely make it sound better than any Z.

Engine: Pretty subjective to claim that the turbo Mezger is "Clearly more special." than the VG30DETT. More historical, perhaps.. but not an objectively better motor, IMO. Especially when you consider the tech and potential the VG had when it came out in the late 80's and the abysmal rev limit on the turbo flat 6.

Interior: I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the materials and finish are 20 years newer (and probably higher quality) in the P car, but I don't think the 997 interior will necessarily age as well as the Z's (from a timeless stylistic perspective). Look at how dated the 996 interior looks right now - and even that was newer than the Z's.

Like I said, I've drooled over the 911 turbo of every generation my whole life. I haven't had the chance to drive or own one, so this is all conjecture, but I would like to own a P car of some kind in the future.
The older I get and the more I realize what gives me driving enjoyment, both on the street and track and the diminishing return of enjoyment with too much power for the street... the more I realize, due to reasons you have mentioned (mainly the rev range so low on the turbo) that a GT3RS or even possibly a C2S is probably the way to go for me for that authentic, revvy analog Porsche 911 experience.

Congrats on the purchase and I hope you continue to enjoy it and don't start measuring paint thickness!

"Stance: cuz goin fast cost money yo (n/m) - ZiNnYc
08/09/12 18:23:42"

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.