TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I have the II flat 4-spoke w/ airbag...
People Seeking Info

Subject I have the II flat 4-spoke w/ airbag...

Posted by Ted (92TT) on October 14, 2020 at 11:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 114 times.

In Reply To Flat Bottom Steering wheel >>>>>>> posted by JULIAN on October 13, 2020 at 06:47 PM

Message If OEM fit and finish is a 10, I'd rate the II wheel a 7. I previously had my stock wheel re-wrapped by LeatherWheels.com (aka Greavous on 3zc.com). I'd rate that one a 9. Both look good, but Greavous did a better job of wrapping the spokes and the wrap is near perfect. I'd give his a 10 if the stitching were a little more consistent.

The II wheel is a very tight fit, as has been reported by others. The splines appear to be the correct pitch, but the diameter of the hole seems smaller. The stock one slips on easily; the II takes some heat and coaxing, but does go on. If not for this, I'd rate it an 8. The frame looks different than the stock wheel, with some extra holes in it. The padding has been built up thicker and thumb grips added, two things I find to be nicer than a straight re-wrap. It's also considerably heavier.

I wanted a flat bottom because I have long legs and short torso, so with the wheel a comfortable distance away, my legs tend to hit when turning if I don't move my hands. Flattening only raises it by about an inch, so it's more cosmetic than effective. Not sure if I'd do it again, but it does look good and feels great.

Here are some comparison pics. The II has a grey frame, the re-wrapped OEM has a gold CAD plating (this is from a '92 TT). I had the II done with ultrasuede sides, the Greavous has perforated sides. Not enough hours yet to comment on how the suede holds up. Also, the two-tone black leather on the Greavous was intentional, not a mismatch. You can see the difference in the back spoke wrap in the last pic.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.