TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I've gotten up to 180 mph twice
People Seeking Info

Subject I've gotten up to 180 mph twice

Posted by Broke_as_**** on October 10, 2020 at 7:13 PM
  This message has been viewed 250 times.

In Reply To Fastest you've gone? On what tires? posted by Mike@ZSpeed on October 09, 2020 at 02:01 PM

Message The stock tach isn't particularly accurate but the SAFCII read 6800 rpm. Stock wheels with some Bridgestone Potenza RE750s (168mph rated), stock springs and shocks. I've done 160 probably a dozen times and maybe it's just the extra time getting those last 20 but 180 definitely felt like a different category of fast. The mind is acutely aware that a human moving across the ground at that speed is a very unnatural thing and that if anything goes wrong, lose a tire, the engine blows, an undertray comes loose, you're dead. Although being in my early 20s that didn't really get through my skull which at the time was a contender for worlds densest object. And empty highway at 2 am or not this is obviously all very stupid and dangerous and not recommended. Plenty of places to go fast in cars that were built for it if you really have a desire to.

It's also worth mentioning that this sort of thing netted two rounds of engine damage: one melted exhaust valve and a broken ring land. As described by Doug at UP garage, when you're into the gas that hard for that long the cylinder is hot and prone to detonation. So if at that point when you lift off the pedal stay off it for some time to let things cool down. If you reapply the gas then the ignition timing goes way up in the mid-throttle area and boom. Said he saw on the dyno numerous times.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.