TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Z Crossroads
People Seeking Info

Subject Z Crossroads

Posted by RBS145 on October 06, 2020 at 9:34 AM
  This message has been viewed 485 times.

Message First real post for me, been lurking since I bought my Z off Duncan in 2017. As with most vehicles I've owned, it has become a very enjoyable money pit for me and I've definitely enjoyed the ride so far. I've never owned a car with so much good information online and community support for it. I originally bought the car to drive for a few years and then trade for something different. But, I have gone to far with my build financially to justify trading it for a loss. I still absolutely love the car and it's appearance.

Now on to the problem! My old lady bought me a some VP MS108 Fuel for my birthday this year and I've been using a "Dragy" GPS timer. The car ran a solid time on pump fuel at 12.58 @ 117.58mph which I thought was pretty cool to have a rough baseline. We went for a late evening drive on Saturday with the race fuel in the tank to make some passes at the "strip", unfortunately the Calgary drag strip shut down years ago so real times are 3hrs away. The Z made a good pass at 12.10 @ 123mph, probably could have been a bit better with lighter throttle going into second as it spun a bunch when I shifted and I had to let off to regain traction. Anyways, immediately after this pass the engine had a hard knocking sound to it and I had to limp it home. I'm 99% sure it has spun a bearing and needs a rebuild again.

My original plan was to keep growing my fun money pool which included whatever equity the car had in it to fund the next one. I'm definitely sticking with the Z as I can't justify selling/trading it, but want to try something different in it. Maybe an LS swap to get that lumpy V8 sound? A built VG with a modern turbo kit? What is the most reliable way to put around 500whp down on 91 octane pump gas? I won't be changing driving habits, so it will be "used". I know a few V8 gearheads locally that say the 5.3 iron block can handle boost for years on a stock motor. I also like the idea of it being "easier" to work on and less complicated. Along with a new motor out of the junk yard being around $1000 if it pops.

I've updated my profile with all current mods. What would you do? I don't really care about the keep it all Nissan thing as I am a Car fan, not a Nissan specific fan. Guessing I could sell my VG specific parts to fund a swap. The swap gives me the opportunity to try something different, but keep the beautiful Z body. But, to make 500 with an LS is no cheap task either unless a turbo or super will fit in there with it.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.