TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - An example of the wrong fluid. Nissan specifies a GL4 >>>
People Seeking Info

Subject An example of the wrong fluid. Nissan specifies a GL4 >>>

Posted by ZUL8TR on September 05, 2020 at 4:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 273 times.

In Reply To Nissan warranty is 12 months, 12k miles. posted by Bernie (NoVA) on September 05, 2020 at 03:06 AM

Message lube in the 5 speed not a gear lube that says GL3,GL4,GL5 on the bottle that also says compatible for any of the GL specs. Not really clear on the bottle but truth is according to Mobile Oil and Valvoline tech dept that multi rating gear lube spec is for differentials that are upwardly compatible to the GL rating as long as the manual states what can be used, but for the manual tranny if the spec states GL4 rating then the multi GL rating should not be used.

A Dealer screw up that happened to me with my 92 NA 300zx 5 speed that I bought in 92. Went to the Nisan dealer in about 95 to service the gear lube in tranny and diffy. Didn't know at the time they put a GL3,4,5 gear oil in the tranny (forgot the brand). Not too long later the 1st gear syncs went out and difficult to shift. Took it back to the dealer and asked what GL went in and the told me the multi GL stuff and that should not be a problem. I told them what the oil companies told me but that had no weight with the dealer, brush off.

So I contacted Nissan zone and told of the problem. They asked me to bring the car to that Nissan dealer and zone came to check it out.

Long story short Nissan ordered a tranny and drive shaft (they threw in because?) both from Japan filled with the factory fluid a GL4 in the tranny and the Nissan dealer installed it and learned something about GL ratings. I drove the car for about 3 years before changing the GL 4 gear oil. When changing tranny fluid I only use a gear oil rated for GL4 spec not the multi rating gear oil ratings on the bottle. Still have the car with 93k and tranny is free of whines and shifts great. It is not a race car but I do spirited driving with it.

ZUL8TR

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.