TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I've never been impressed with the integrated amps in HUs
People Seeking Info

Subject I've never been impressed with the integrated amps in HUs

Posted by vorpalZed on August 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 199 times.

In Reply To Tech claims plenty of power on HU for these JBLs posted by Gordo NA2LS Daytona on August 16, 2019 at 11:32 AM

Message They are typically power overrated and not of great quality... the difference between a decent external amp and the HU amp is very noticeable in audio quality. Your speakers work better when driven at a nominal higher rate that an external amp can provide.

You also want to add a sub, which will need to be driven with a D class amp to be effective, which means a battery power wiring kit, which you'll need for an amp anyway, so I just went that route.

When I replaced all the Bose audio in my Silver Zed, I went with a digital 5 channel amp from Diamond Audio that has a small footprint and mounted nicely under the passenger seat:

Diamond Audio Micro 5V2

Also with an external amp you can trim your outputs to the speaker, set your x-over and balance your volumes to your output channels. Yes, you can also do that with DSPs in the headunit, but every time you pop the battery cable you have to go through and reset everything.

my .02

Cheers,

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.